Saturday, March 19, 2011

How it comes together

This originally appeared as a stand alone page in issue #6 of THREAT! circa 1986.

It was meant to represent a notebook page, maybe something Henry or Ultra were putting together. At the time I had a notebook made of grid paper that I really enjoyed sketching in, it gave the work sort of a scientific feel.

This didn't work out so well when printed, I wanted the grid lines to bleed off the page but I was unsure of Fantagraphics printing process and the grid lines ended in a white margin. However, this page does illustrate how my sketches and ideas were being put together and turned into something else altogether. The running ZONE figure was from a sketchbook and you'll recognize it if you scroll down to the January 24, 2011 entry. The duo-shade "photo" was from another sketchbook page and is part of the February 20, 2011 entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment