Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cover story

Circa 1984 - cover to self-published zine

In the winter of 1984 I stapled together copies of all the ZONE work I had done and trudged into Manhattan to see if any of the stores that carried comics would be interested in selling copies on consignment. I was able to place them in a store on West Broadway, that carried paraphernalia, comics and clothing but was turned down by Forbidden Planet. After leaving the store I was approached on the street by a guy who had heard me in the store and he suggested I try St. Marks Comics. Mitch, the owner of St. Marks bought several copies off me right then and there.

After that I started to patronize Mitch's store and went there for years. Every once and a while I'd notice that there were still a few copies on the bottom shelf in the back.

I once saw a copy for sale at a convention with a price tag of $25.00

1 comment:

  1. Every time I'm in New York I try to get down to St. Mark's Comics. I love little hole-in-the-wall places like that.

    ReplyDelete