Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To The Stars




circa 1984

For some reason this is one of my least favorite ZONE pages. I think maybe the idea took ZONE out his swamp, and even though I like to be poetic and abstract, playing with the concept of a comic page this took him too far. I also think the drawing on this page is far more formal than I intended it to be.

I'm pretty sure I got the reference for the space shuttle from my roommate Jim Rohn's vast and impressive reference files. Remember, this is before the internet made photo reference just a few clicks away.

And, maybe it's just not as funny as I originally thought it was.

This type of page was definitely influenced by Krazy Kat artist George Herriman and underground cartoonist Dan O'Neill.


Original sketchbook layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment